Top 5 Tips in Selecting Cabinets
Okay, you’ve made the decision to remodel your current kitchen into your dream kitchen but you’re not sure where to get started. For inspiration visit Websites likes Houzz, Pinterest and design magazines before you undergo a kitchen renovation.
For any kitchen renovation or remodel, there are several exciting decisions that have to be made and we’ll help you through all of them. First things first. One of the most important decisions is the cabinetry. From farmhouse to transitional to modern and contemporary, your kitchen’s cabinetry can set the tone for the rest of your home.
To help you get started, we put together the following five tips to navigate you through the planning process to design your dream kitchen:
- Define Your Budget. Cabinetry can range greatly depending on quality, style and finishes. There are often three ranges, entry level, mid-level and high-end products. Depending on the size and features expect cabinetry to range on the entry level from $15,000- $20,000, Mid-level from $20,000- $30,000 and high-end cabinetry from $30,000 on up.
- What is Your Style? Once you’ve selected the product level that best fits your budget, take a look at cabinet appearance. What type of finish do you want? Do you want stained or painted finish cabinet? The best woods for painting are tighter grained woods like poplar, soft maple, alder, pine and birch. Your kitchen is the focal point of the home so it’s essential to invest in cabinets that reflect your home’s personality and style and seamlessly tie in other parts of your home.
- Customize Your Cabinets to Fit Your Needs. Consider adding special touches that will make it uniquely your own. Knobs and cabinet pulls can be customized easily and come in a wide range of options from natural stones to wood, and unique metals to rare, one-of-a-kind finishes. Do you need height adjustments for the cabinets, custom nooks and spaces, appliance storage, etc.? Take note of your wish list items. Work with your contractor to design your kitchen the exact way you want and need it to suit your family’s everyday needs. This will ensure maximum functionality.
- Do Your Research. Do your homework on the product and style you like the most. Research design magazines and blogs, or pull inspiration from top sites like Instagram, Houzz and Pinterest and share those ideas and style preferences with your contractor and/or designer. Having an idea in advance and sharing it with your team will help expedite the process by narrowing down the selections based on your taste and budget.
- Protect Your Investment. It is critical to ensure your general contractor is licensed and that the cabinetry has a warranty to protect your investment. Be sure to ask your general contractor these questions before moving forward. Even with the most high-end products, problems can and do arise. However, with a warranty in place, you will have reassurance that you will be covered. Take a look at your preferred company’s warranty beforehand, so you know how customer focused it is and how quickly they resolve issues.
At Luster Custom Homes and Remodeling, these five steps are a guideline we use with our clients before beginning any kitchen renovation.