How to Kick Up Your Curb Appeal
Curb appeal – /kərb əˈpēl/
The attractiveness from a house from the street; the difference between “eew” and “ooh!”
See also: first impressions, projects with high return on investment, easy transformations
If your house is lacking in the “ooh!” department, this list is an easy way to help you up the ante and create a first impression that lasts. Tackle one project for a minor makeover or take them all on for a complete transformation.
- Opt for a unique front door. An eye-catching front door can be just what a lackluster facade needs to make it look bright and new. Spice it up with a cheery color or go a more traditional route; whatever you choose, you can’t go wrong with a shiny (or matte!) new door.
- Replace your walkway. Whether you make a statement with rectangular pavers, opt for a more natural vibe with a gravel path, or just replace cracked concrete with a fresh pad, a new walkway draws the eye up to the main attraction – your home!
- Install a new garage door. If your garage door looks more like scrap metal than a functional door and makes enough noise that when you open or close it your neighbors’ neighbors complain, it might be time to invest in a new door. There are so many unique styles and materials to choose from, and the newest opening mechanisms are so sleek and quiet that you won’t even be able to hear when your teenage son comes home past curfew.
- A good landscape job can make any house look fresh and desirable. DIY projects make for a fun weekend activity, but if you’re looking for that “wow” factor, seek out a landscape architect! They were trained in the art of making foliage look fabulous.
- If all else fails… clean! Sometimes, all you need is some good old-fashioned elbow grease. Hire a professional to pressure wash brick, stucco, or siding, break out the squeegee to give dingy windows new life, and breath some new life into your home.
So whether you’re looking to add a little spice to your home with a smaller remodel or are ready to embark on a full-fledged exterior renovation expedition, give us a ring. We’re happy to help consult, design, and execute whatever your heart and home desires!