5 Easy Steps to Remodel Your Bathroom
Ah, the bathroom. It’s a place of cleanliness and stress relief, a place of primping and prepping, a place of – ahem – relieving yourself. Along with the kitchen, it’s arguably one of the most important rooms in your house. That being said, it’s not uncommon to want to make it better, nicer, newer, more well suited to your needs, etc. So, how do you even start when you decide you want to remodel your bathroom?
- Get a scope of work. More specifically, get a set of plans. This is especially important if you’re changing the layout of your bathroom. Having plans or a scope of work helps to ensure that you aren’t just telling a contractor “put that vanity over there”. Rather, you’re telling them, “install a 6’ long, 3’ tall vanity cabinet with marble countertops in the northwest corner of the bathroom.” Doesn’t that sound better?
- Find a contractor. Choosing a remodeling contractor who suits your needs and your budget can be a daunting task, but it’s also possibly the most important. After all, a project can’t start without someone to run it! (I mean, it can, but it sure won’t go anywhere fast!) A great place to start is with referrals from friends and family or online resources (think: Houzz, Angie’s List, Google, etc.). Then, verify those referrals yourself through online research, in person meetings, and checking in with any references your potential contractor may supply. Once you’re head over heels in love (or you’ve at least found someone you trust and like), say “I do”, sign the contract, and begin talking about the commencement of work.
- Make your selections. It’s important to get your ducks in a row before your project starts. In this case, your ducks are called tile, plumbing fixtures, and light fixtures. There might be other selections to make (grout colors, paint, etc.) but these are by far the most important. This way, you or your contractor can place orders for everything you will need before the project starts to ensure none of it is out of stock or on backorder, which could cause a significant delay.
- Let ‘er rip! Finally, after weeks (or months – or even years) of planning, construction begins. The most important tip for this phase is to COMMUNICATE! In remodeling, there is no such thing as asking too many questions or being overly If you have questions, comments, or concerns, bring them up! It will make the process easier for all involved parties.
- Enjoy. Ah, the moment you’ve been waiting for. Whatever you were dreaming of before, whether it be a steam shower, a makeup vanity to call your very own, or just new tile, it’s now become a reality. Relax in your steamy retreat! Do your makeup like you’ve never done your makeup before! Walk on your new tile with all the gusto of a member of a marching band! Now’s your time – the contractors and workers are gone, the space is clean and sparkly, so live it up.
And that’s all there is to it! Five easy steps. Nothing else. Okay, there might be a little more to it than that, but breaking down a big project like a bathroom remodel makes it a lot easier to accomplish while keeping your head on straight.
Sign up for the latest home remodeling and new home building tips at www.lustercustomhomes.com.