How to Elevate Your Backyard Space and Cook Up Plans for an Entertainer’s Kitchen
Summer is in full swing and with that comes exciting barbeques, outdoor dinners and general patio entertaining. If you’ve been the guest of many of these summer gatherings, you may have seen some amazing outdoor patios that have inspired you to upgrade your own.
If you’re planning a patio renovation, here are a few things to consider as you create your dream outdoor kitchen and entertaining space.
- What type of entertainer are you? Do you have monthly gatherings, a couple times a season or once a year? Knowing how much you will use your new space will help you better plan for its layout and equipment.
- Don’t skimp on features. Do you enjoy cooking? Your outdoor space can be an extension of your home’s kitchen can include all the amenities you enjoy most, while taking advantage of the outdoors. This includes plenty of prep space, a full-size sink, multi-station stove top, icemaker and mini refrigerator. Is pizza one of your faves? Consider adding your own outdoor pizza oven to create your own homemade pizza. The possibilities are endless.
- Hire an expert. As you are getting ready to design and build your unique outdoor kitchen space, make sure to lean on industry experts so you are aware of any special permits or add on requirements needed before you begin. Your general contractor will help make the process seamless so you secure any permits or approvals needed from your City, such as new gas lines, plumbing, etc.
- Don’t forget about lighting. As with a home’s interior décor, lighting can set the perfect mood and create the space for your outdoor kitchen. Depending upon the size of the space you have a variety of options from hanging lighting to inlaid floor lighting, etc. The most important consideration is that it matches your style and entertaining needs. Check out sites like Houzz and Pinterest for exterior lighting inspiration to share with your contractor and/or designer.
- Flooring is important. Another key addition that can truly elevate your outdoor entertaining space is flooring. Quality materials such as limestone, brick, concrete and pavers can create an elegant and timeless look that defines the space.
- Plan for the unexpected. It’s hard to predict how large your gatherings will be so it’s always good to plan for more. Just like a great room can do inside the home, including an outdoor island/bar set up complete with barstools can help bring the party into your outdoor kitchen as you prepare the meal. You can never have enough seating for unexpected guests. In addition to a patio dining table, lounge and side chairs, barstools and outdoor portable ottomans provide additional seating that isn’t only comfortable for guests, it’s easy to store away, while also providing all the extra seating you need.
If you’re considering upgrading your backyard to create an entertainer’s retreat with a dream outdoor kitchen and seating area, contact Luster Custom Homes and Remodeling today at 480.304.5525. We’ll help you plan your perfect entertaining area.