6 Ways to Boost Your Home’s Value
Whether you are thinking of selling your home now or in the near future, there are a few things you can do to help boost your home’s value. Here are six areas we recommend spending a little more time and attention on:
- Kitchen is King – The bathroom may have a throne but it’s the kitchen that is a home’s crown. Any money spent in the kitchen is always money well spent. It doesn’t matter if you’re doing a complete renovation or just a facelift. As the heart of the home, the kitchen often tops homebuyers’ “deal breaker” list so it should be updated to meet buyer expectations.
- Create Flexible Living Space —Just like taxes, guests tend to come for a visit at least once a year. Having enough space is key for comfort. Homebuyers are looking for rooms that offer options such as a guest bedroom, additional office space, a workout room or playroom. Working with a creative designer, you can strategically increase your living space and make the most of your home’s floorplan.
- Increase Your Curb Appeal—You may not be able to judge a book by its cover but you can judge a home by its exterior. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. That’s why your home’s curbside appeal is so important. Adding simple things like edging, plants, colorful flowers and shrubs can have a major impact on that first impression.
- No More Bathroom Blues – Second only to kitchens, homeowners should consider renovating bathrooms. It’s a space where we spend a great deal of time— several hours a week, in fact. While some would argue counter space and storage are important factors, turns out there are other priorities in the bathroom. According to Houzz’s 2016 Bathroom Trend Study, bathroom time is all about the shower. Sixty eight percent (68%) of those undergoing a master bath remodel are increasing the size of the shower. More than one third of those are doubling their bathroom space overall. From outhouses to spa-like experiences, bathrooms have come a long way and should be a top consideration when looking to redo your home.
- Paint Packs a Punch – One of the easiest things you can do to add some appeal to your home is change up the paint, but it’s important to keep it neutral. Too harsh, dark or trendy and you may turn off potential buyers. Many homeowners are currently opting for whites and off whites. Why? Because they appeal to most buyers and all generations. It’s like a clean canvas that allows buyers to visualize their belongings in the space.
- The Great Outdoors – In Arizona, we’re lucky. We can enjoy outdoor entertaining pretty much all year long. Minus a few months when it’s unbearably hot. But even then, by adding misters, umbrellas and lots of greenery, you can take the edge off the heat and enjoy outdoor space. With some creative design and planning, adding additional square footage on the exterior of your home is creating an extension of your living space and is something homebuyers are seeking. According to Inman, an investment in your backyard has one of the greatest returns, averaging 100-200%, especially in warmer climate areas where homeowners can enjoy the space year round.
For the latest home remodeling trends and tips, sign up for our monthly newsletter at email@example.com.